Human resources has traditionally been a paper-laden job function. Not only do paper-based recruitment, employee evaluations, and onboarding procedures lead to slower implementations and depleted physical storage space, they are taking the toll on our environment. This Earth Day make the commitment for your community to convert from a paper-based talent recruitment process, to a cloud-based, paper-free operating system.
The Costly Reliance on Paper
Human resources departments reliant upon paper not only put themselves at risk of a potential breach of confidential employee data, they lose money and storage space.
- 50% of the waste of businesses is composed of paper
- U.S. offices use 12.1 trillion sheets of paper a year
- The average office worker continues to use a staggering 10,000 sheets of copy paper every year.
- 45% of the paper printed in offices ends up trashed by the end of the day.
- In the U.S., companies spend more than $120 billion a year on printed forms, most of which outdate themselves within three months’ time.
- A typical employee spends 30-40% of his time looking for information locked in email and filing cabinets – filing costs average about $20 per month.
- The average document is copied 9 to 11 times and every 12 filing cabinets require an additional employee to maintain.
- Each four-drawer file cabinet holds an average of 10,000 to 12,000 documents, takes up to 9 square feet of floor space and costs $1,500 per year.
- Each misfiled document costs $125. Each lost document cost $350 to $700 – large organizations lose a document every 12 seconds.
- More than 70% of today’s businesses would fail within three weeks if they suffered a catastrophic loss of paper-based records due to fire or flood.
The Impact on Your Community
The ability to save space, save money, and streamline workflow efficiencies should be enough of a reason to take your paper-based workflows paperless, but if shouldn’t be forgotten that overuse of paper taxes our natural resources, like your very own community. Consider these facts from The World Counts and The Paperless Project:
- Paper accounts for 25% of landfill waste and 33% of municipal waste.
- Discarded paper is a major component of many landfill sites, accounting for about 35% by weight of municipal solid waste.
- Pulp and paper is the third largest industrial polluter to air, water and land in both Canada and the United States, and releases well over 100 million kg of toxic pollution each year.
- An estimated 18 million acres of forest are lost each year, equaling a loss of 20 football fields every minute.
Save Money and Your Environment with Applicant Tracking Software (ATS)
An ATS is a software tool that enables the cloud-based management of talent recruitment and hiring. Not only does an ATS create a convenient online job application experience for job seekers, it streamlines workflows for human resource managers and eliminates the need to manage stacks of non-secure paper applications. ATS solutions:
- Are better able to track digitally-minded job seekers looking to find and apply to jobs online.
- Are optimized for use on smart phones and tablets.
- Result in faster hiring due to streamlined, digital workflows that replace paper routing.
- Reduce dependency on physical storage space, while still allowing you to meet record retention requirements.
- Are better able to keep applicant and personnel data secure than paper copies at risk of being misplaced or misrouted.
- Improve ROI by reducing bottom-line costs associated with paper resources, minimizing vacancies, and encouraging the hire of more highly-qualified applicants.
This Earth Day, make a commitment to your community to stop wasting paper and risking data security. Click here to learn about the CivicHR Applicant Tracking System, or click here to learn how much your community could stand to save by going paper-free with our ATS ROI calculator.