There is no doubt that social media plays a big role in modern day recruiting, especially because many job seekers rely heavily on the Internet during their job search. If you aren’t using social media in your recruitment efforts, then you need to take immediate action to look for ways that you can integrate it into your plan. Without social media, it’s likely that you’re missing out on many qualified candidates.
Why Social Media is so Important
A quick look at the statistics will help you to see why you can’t ignore the power of social media:
- Every day 890 million people use Facebook
- Every month 300 million people use Instagram
- Every month 288 million people use Twitter
These platforms are online locations where people are spending a significant amount of time, making it possible for you to connect with your target demographic. Social media has opened the door to make it easier than ever to effectively communicate with qualified candidates for your open job positions.
“Social Hiring” is Essential for Your Success
Recruiting trends have changed in recent years, and you need to be looking at all types of candidates when it is time to fill an open position. Many recruiters are only focused on marketing to job seekers. While social media can be very helpful with these efforts, you may be overlooking opportunities to reach passive job seekers who are just as qualified and likely to consider a position with your local government.
Even if a person isn’t actively turning in resumes or reaching out to potential employers, they often have an open ear to listen to information about potential opportunities. Younger generations think about their jobs differently than older generations in that they are always looking for ways to grow their careers with whatever entity will best suit their needs. The loyalty of staying with the same employer until retirement is less likely with younger generations, which means that many potential candidates are looking for new career opportunities when they are still employed with another organization.
“Social Hiring” is the process of building relationships with these potential candidates through online platforms. Through social media, you can show them why they should consider working for your local government. These social platforms allow you to build the brand and message that fits your community culture, and entice people to look more at the job opportunities that are available.
Tips for Using Social Media in Recruiting
There are many strategies that can be used to implement social media in your recruiting efforts. Here are a few basic tips to help you get started:
- Build a Strong Brand: By using social media, you can create the right brand for your community, which will attract the types of employees that you want to hire. Use social media to give people a taste of your local culture and vision.
- Encourage Employees to Participate: One of the most effective methods of social media is when employees post about their job on their personal profiles. Make it easy for employees to post updates on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter by creating a fun and engaging culture that they will want to share with their friends.
- Quantity vs. Quality: Be careful not to overshare ads, updates, and messages on social media, as your followers may fatigue of seeing what they see as too many promotions in their social feeds. Be selective in the way you are using these sites and make sure that you are sharing quality information. Less is more in many situations.
For more tips on attracting quality talent in the era of social media and smart phones, click here.
The second step to recruiting quality talent for your community is to craft effective job postings. For optimal results, couple your social media strategy with performance profiles that will excite social followers and encourage applications. Click below to learn how to turn your current job descriptions into performance profiles.