Social Media & Personal Liability for Local Government Agencies
On August 17th, 2021, we heard from journalist, author, PIO, and the founder and principal consultant of MuniMedia, Lora-Marie Bernard, as she talked through the responsibilities and personal liabilities elected and appointed officials have on social media. She discussed how this content can be a historical record and solutions you can implement to use social media effectively, ease your workload, and help empower a transparent and agile digital government.
Social media has become one of the essential tools for local government leaders to engage with their audiences. But few properly manage the records created on social media platforms.
In this recorded webinar, you’ll learn:
- How to assess the risks for public officials engaging on social media
- First Amendment & Open Meeting law pitfalls to avoid
- How to develop a social media plan & write a social media policy
- Tactics to promote transparency & protect your agency
- How to manage, retain, and preserve social media content as official record for the full extent of its retention period